WHAT DO NEW PARENTS NEED?
If you’re a new parent, you are probably bombarded with innumerable advice from your relatives, friends and even shop assistants about what you will need. These holy grails or raising a baby usually turn out to be some expensive product that you probably used…once.
Every parent has a different experience, after all, each baby is different and they have different needs. Items that might be essential for you might not be of use to me. That being said, there are definitely a few items that you can never have enough of, the real true holy grails.
This list is definitely not complete like I said before, every baby is different. You will probably need to add a few more items to have a wail free experience. But this list is filled with general baby items that help keep the parents sane and the baby happy!
- Sleep: I’m sure you have been told by your parents, relatives, neighbours…and basically by everyone under the sun that when you are a new parent you can bid your sleep goodbye. A good solution to this problem is to sleep when your baby does. If you have other kids at home or pets, you might be tempted to give up this opportunity. But, remember, if you are sleep deprived and cranky, you won’t be able to look after your baby adequately!
- Diapers: You can’t have enough of them. Be careful about which size to buy though, as your baby might grow really fast! As for which brand to choose, or whether to choose a cloth diaper. It is a good idea to experiment with different brands and different types so that you can find out what suits you the best. There are no hard and fast rules here, it all depends on your preference.
- Wipes: Wipes, just like diapers, are essential. It really doesn’t matter which brand you choose, as long as the wipe can clean up any mess and does not rip apart easily. A travel size pack is a good addition to your diaper bag.
- Receiving blankets: They come in super handy. You will be amazed by it multi-functionality. They are useful for covering your baby and keeping them warm, can be used as changing pads, burp cloths and even a cover if you plan to nurse your child!
- Diaper rash ointment: An essential for a diaper change. There are many options to choose from, and you can usually find a coupon or two which can help you save. Experiment with a few and stick to the one which suits your baby the best.
- Baby soap: Babies really don’t need to be bathed daily as it can dry out their skin. In fact, for the first few days, they will only need a sponge bath. However when your baby is ready, using a goo soap is essential. Experiment with what you find, sometimes your baby may not like the scent of certain soaps or might be sensitive to it. There are a lot of options out there so you will definitely find one that fits you perfectly.